Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Skills to add to my resume...


I have found over the years that I seriously dislike telling people where I work. I find it just rather embarrassing...I mean really, convenience stores really take little skill to work at and unless you are seriously lacking in the brains department, I imagine just about anyone can handle it. That being said, I am still amazed at the quality of help I've had to train, manage, and put up with the better part of six years! Here's some of the skills I've developed to add to my impressive resume...
I can empty trash like no-one's business! I am constantly annoyed with the fact that I can come in at 6 in the morning to a store full of over-flowing trash cans and know for a fact (after doing the bookwork) that there were literally 10 customers from midnight until 6Am. This has to mean that the trashes sat over flowing all night long and the clerk on duty chose to ignore it. I mean, come on! How hard is it to walk to the store room, grab a hand full of garbage bags, and empty them and walk them to the dumpster? My 6, 9, and 10 year old kids do it at home and you are getting paid $8.25 an hour, my kids do it for a dollar a week in allowance! If I were to walk in to a business and be immediately greeted by an over flowing trash can, I would probably walk right out. Who's to say that this establishment is clean? What germs and diseases am I risking in getting by walking around in here or worse eating in here? Ewwww! Generally, if I don't have something else I am supposed to be doing when I walk in the door, I walk immediately to the store room, grab a hand full of garbage bags, and work on my resume building skills!
Bagging ice. Just as easy and simple as it sounds! This weekend alone I single handedly bagged 80 bags of the frozen H2O. Honestly, there is a rule that everyone on duty during the day is supposed to bag 10 bags of it before they leave at the end of their shift. Of course no one follows that rule! We make it incredibly easy to do as well...1. Retrieve the hand truck. 2. Convert it to flat bed style (remove the pin and reinsert it, not rocket science!) 3. Walk to the ice maker. 4. Open the door. 5. Grab the large metal scoop. 6. Grab a bag (conveniently hung next to the ice maker). 7. Fill the bag to the top of the picture on the bag. 8. Tie it off with a twist tie. 9. Lay the bag on the hand truck. Start all over again with step #5. 10. Continue until the hand truck is full. 11. Take the hand truck outside to the ice merchandiser on the front porch of the store. 12. Unload the ice into the merchandiser and repeat steps 3 through 12 again if necessary. I have to laugh every time I am bagging ice and whoever is on bakery duty is working (the ice maker is in the bakery), some reason I always get the comment, "Why do I only ever see the same 3 people bagging ice?" My answer would have to be, "I don't know, I must be good at it... It's just another skill to add to my resume!"
Stocking the cooler. Perhaps a little more skill is required to master this task, then again, maybe not! As in most convenience stores, there is a large walk-in cooler that houses beer, dairy products, water, energy drinks, juice, tea, and soda. I never in my life seen so many people do such a piss poor job at such an easy task. Period. You walk in, you fill in the empty shelves with product, you take the empty boxes and crates with you and either store them or place them into the dumpster. I walk in the store in the morning and without a doubt can tell that no one bothered to stock that silly cooler. There will be holes clear through the shelves where I can see the product that is supposed to be on the shelves stacked neatly in the back of the cooler. Not on the shelf where the customer can open the door and retrieve their wanted item, mind you. Okay, I'll admit that it may not be one of my favorite tasks...it's cold in there (about 38 degrees), you have to pick up and move stuff to get to what you want, but these are things that are easily remedied! Someone invented a coat for a reason, bring one, use it! We have gloves as well, I can think of 5 pairs under the clerks counter alone, use those too! Use the having to move stuff as a muscle tone building tool, don't pay for that gym membership...come to Convenient, heft beer boxes, flats and crates with me! =0) For Pete's sake you are getting paid to stand your butt in the cooler and put things on the shelf, I'm sorry...was that hard? I'll just add it to my impressive resume!=0)

1 comment: