Monday, September 21, 2009

Those Pesky Pet Peeves...

What did the robot say to the gas pump? Take that thing out of your ear and listen to me! Now why, do you ask, am I telling bad jokes? Well, I have a pet peeve to share with you...something that would not bother me in the least if I wasn't your cashier! If you haven't guessed by now, it's talking on your cell phone. Cell phones are one of the most useful inventions of my time, I take mine everywhere! Great for keeping in touch, great for emergencies, great for being incredibly rude! Now don't get me wrong, I really don't mind if you are insisting upon gabbing away while I'm waiting on you, as long as you are cooperating with me. For those of you who aren't, this post is for you!

I had just started my shift and was getting ready to prep the deposit so, I could take it to the bank, when the afternoon cashier had a bit of a rush. I got up from the desk in the office and started to help on the back-up register. I helped a couple of people and had a gentlemen set down a soda in front of me. I rang it up and gave him his total as his cell phone rang. He fished it out of his pocket and started to talk completely forgetting about me waiting for his money. At this point the afternoon cashier's line had diminished and I found the "register closed" signs and put them on the counter and cleared out the cell phone man's sale. I retreated to the office to count the deposit. After a couple of minutes I looked up to see the man (through with his conversation) staring at me through the crack in the office door! I ignored him and it probably took him almost a minute to give up and walk over to the open register! I mean, I'm sorry was I supposed to wait for you to rudely complete your cell phone conversation, when I had plenty of other things to accomplish? Come on! Those pesky pet peeves...

Just today I had a very rude cell phone taking woman in front of me...keep in mind, her cell phone did not leave her ear through this entire exchange.
Cell phone woman: "I need camel menthol 100's"
Me: (walking over to the Camel display) "They don't come in 100's"
Cell phone woman: "Well just what's by your hand then..."
Me: (grabbing the cigarettes and walking them over to the register) "That's $5.37"
Cell phone woman: (drops a twenty on the counter) "I have the $.37"
Me: (nodding my head and opening the register)
Cell phone woman: (loudly) "I have the $.37!"
Me: (just as loudly) "Okay!"
The cell phone woman produces $.37 and puts her change back in her purse and walks out leaving her cigarettes on the counter. The next customer in line is one of my regulars and sees that the woman has left her cigarettes and was going to tell her so...until, I pointed out that she had been one of my ruder customers to date and there was no way I was going to chase her down to give her her forgotten cigarettes. He agreed with me on the rudeness and laughed at the thought of her missing a smoke. Needless to say she returned cell phone free to retrieve her cigarettes a few minutes later. Now who says this pet peeve isn't justified!=0)

Now this cell phone story takes the cake:
During a rather busy afternoon one day, I had a round woman with several children in tow, rummaging through the candy sale bins. They took their time as their Mom insisted that they hurry and sauntered up to the counter. With one fell-swoop she blocked the ability of four other patrons to pay for their goods and continue on their way. Her cell phone rings and she rummages through the bottom of her purse to retrieve it and turns to the kids telling them to bring their candy to the counter. One by one the kids slowly bring their wanted treats to the counter, only after several pleas of their Mother, cell phone to her ear. After I ring up the candy and tell her the total, she produces a bank card and I ask, "Debit or Credit?" My question is ignored and I look at the front of the card see that it is a debit card and I run it, hand it back, and hold up the pin pad. She stops talking long enough to tell me, "No, it's a credit card..." Obviously I am very annoyed at this point and I drop the pin pad loudly on the counter, "I need your card again...", I told her. The woman, with wide eyes, exclaims, "Well! That was uncalled for!" she hands me her card and I run it saying nothing. "What is the name of your manager?", she insists as if I had done her some huge injustice. I continue to say nothing as I hand her a pen to sign the slip and hand back her card. "This clerk must be having a really bad day or something...", I can hear her saying into her phone. She turns to me to tell me, "I hope you have a better day..." and ushers her children out the door. The poor four other guys in line behind her! Each one congratulated me on letting her know how rude she was. The gentleman in line right behind her marveled at the fact that some people think the whole world should revolve around them! Having a bad day indeed! The moral of the post? If you need me to help you, put your cell phone down! I imagine the world will not stop if you do so! Now, if only I didn't have that pesky pet peeve....=0)

1 comment:

  1. I agree. People are way too selfish when it comes to their cell phones. I can't say I'm one of those people because no one ever calls me. :)

    ReplyDelete