Monday, October 19, 2009

Self-respect?

Seriously, who needs self-respect anyway? Okay, okay...so, I know we all need it right? Well, it seems the lack there of is my motto these days. I've given it up in the land of Convenient, I mean one can only get slapped in the face so many times before it starts to sting right? Okay, enough with the euphemisms, I'll get to my point. I have tried countless times to be promoted above my current level at Convenient (that's the Assistant to the Assistant to you!) and it just doesn't seem to be working out for me. I've actually applied to be the Assistant twice and applied to be the Food Service Manager once. I even got solicited by one of the Managers of another store to work as his Assistant, all to no avail...so, why do you ask, do I still continue to work there? Well, unfortunately I need the income more than self-respect. You know silly things like...having a roof over my head, phone bills paid, gas in my car, things for my kids, stuff to eat, etc. So, why not get another crappy job? Well, seeing that the unemployment rate in my area is in the double digits and Convenient is...well, convenient! I can work around my kids, request days off, have paid vacation, sick time, it actually pays better than any convenient store in the area...there is just the no self-respect issue... Why haven't I been able to move up then? Well, the Regional Manager seems to think I have poor customer service...there have been a couple of incidents in the entire last 6 years that have happened while she has been the Regional Manager...never mind, I have an exemplary record otherwise. Since the land of Convenient has given this woman too much power and she thrives as long as you keep your lips pressed firmly against her buttocks and all the Managers seem perfectly happy to do so, I remain where I currently sit in the chain. So...I remain, the Assistant to the Assistant, the hard-working, ever knowledgeable, Convenient guru who can't get a break for nothing! I sure hope the boss doesn't think I am going to happily work every weekend, because the girl they hired (who has never worked for the company) doesn't have a sitter...then she has another thing coming! Well, not without a pay raise anyway, yeah...at least a quarter! Seriously, who needs self-respect anyway?=0(

No comments:

Post a Comment