Thursday, October 8, 2009

Back to people watching...

Year after year of working the convenient circuit, I am even more amazed at the fact that some people just don't seem to own a mirror! You know what I mean, some people pass you by and you are immediately stopped in your tracks...and not in a good way! Now we all know that people watching is one of my favorite things about doing my job and here just recently I have had some doozies in front of me at the register! For example:

I have this one girl who is barely 20 and comes in a couple times of week to buy cigarettes. She is fair complected, freckled, has her hair dyed shades of yellow and black...okay, none of these things are all that bad, except when you look at her face. Painted on where I imagine she thinks her eyebrows ought to be, are two very large slashes of orange-ish brown. As I asked for her I.D. for the cigarettes, I looked at the picture and noticed she had those large, cartoon-ish eyebrows painted on her face as well! So...you've been doing this to your face for a while, huh? It took a lot for me to not snicker at this girl as I retrieved her cigarettes and completed the sale. The customer that was in line behind her the first time she came in was staring as she left and I said, "Some people just don't seem to own a mirror..." He laughed and told me he was thinking the same thing! Okay, so I know it wasn't just me! I mean come on...so, you don't have eyebrows...a lot of people don't either, don't draw them on with a marker! They make stuff for that, really!=0)

I'm not sure what I was doing the other day when this guy came in but, "Pammy" one of our clerks was helping him when I happened to come back by the register. He was buying cigarettes and Pammy was chattering away, but was obviously trying not to stare at this man's hair. He was tan and had a raspy smoker's voice, but for some reason had the front part of his mullet pulled up into a ponytail directly on top of his head, like a fountain! I think I didn't notice him at first because I sure I just thought it was some lady with her hair pulled out of her face...well, until I heard him talk! As soon as the rest of the customers left I exclaimed to Pammy, "What was with that guy's hair?!" "I know!", exclaimed Pammy, "I was trying not to stare at it!" Okay, why? Ummm...here's a thought...how about you join the rest of us in 2009 and take a trip to the barber because mullets went out 20 years ago and let's be honest, were ugly then! Let's pretend you weren't attacked by a toddler playing beauty salon...the barber would have been a much better option than the ponytail!=0)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming to be a fashionista in any respect, I wear a uniform 5 days a week and if I don't leave my house during the day, I most likely will not bother with make-up or even clothes. (clean pajamas would be about it!) So, I know that I really don't possess the authority to point out the fashion foo-pas. That being said...if you look bad enough to catch my eye from the monotony that my job entails, then perhaps you should go ahead and purchase a mirror! The Convenience clerks are watching people!=0)

No comments:

Post a Comment