Much as the wind wafts behind ears and uncoifs hairdo's in unseen, but obviously present fashion...I have often wondered if I may be the same. Sure, I'm well known in certain circles as the girl with the off kilter fashion sense and an affinity for the brightly colored and border line obnoxious. The technicolored wardrobe only seems to attract attention for about a millisecond before people lose interest and I become as the wind again.
I fell yesterday, ungraciously and twisted my ankle off the curb as I was fetching garbage cans from the street. I was also completely unseen by eyes that seem to be blind when it comes to me in alarming frequency. I'm not an attention whore by any means, in fact I rather like being alone. I dare sales people to come within steps of me and ask in annoyance with the fact they have to ask, "May I help you find something?" "No thanks." I reply at any time, whether I really was having a hard time locating what I was looking for or not.
Frustrating more than anything is the fact that no one seems to pay me any attention at all unless I get loud. I was lectured for two hours the other night, about eliminating stress, and watching the tone of my voice, and if needs be we can use a counselor at my choosing. I mentioned the fact that a lot of the problem on my end had to do with me speaking and getting no response, as if I really were the wind.
When I say no response, I mean no change of expression even, no glimmer of an eye, no acknowledgment of my existence whatsoever. I know for a fact that I must be invisible..without the ability to be loud, I'm not sure anyone will ever know I'm really there at all.
Invisible as the wind, I waft past people's ears carrying the sounds of years gone past, of mistakes made, of longing for something else...anything else. Visible only in certain circles and frustrated past the point of focus. I meander through the leaves of trees and piles and toss them up to let them fall and tinkle the sound of chimes hung on eaves and branches. Lacking the ability to bluster and blow, to make presence known with a vengeance, I curl through blades of grass and toss dandelion gone to seed in invisible silence.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment