Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cast of colorful co-workers

Almost as crazy as all the "interesting" people that come through the doors is the cast of colorful co-workers I've worked with through the years! I'm not going to use any real names, but the stories will be just as real.
"Dan." Dan and I worked together for about five years, until a random drug test caused him to no longer want to work with us. (Well, he quit because of it anyway...) No nonsense, tell you exactly the way it is Dan. Actually, Dan no longer works with us, but stops by to chat about every other day. I tease him constantly and tell people who ask why he still hangs out with us, that he has no friends and has to hang out with us all day. That's probably close to the truth! Dan suffers from a chronic illness that will eventually end his existence, somehow I think this has changed his way dealing with the public.
Customer: (Rudely cutting to the front of the line) "I need you to turn on the pump for me." Dan: "I need you to wait your turn and it's pre-pay" Customer: (Ignoring the whole wait your turn thing) "But, I don't know how much it's going to take" Dan: "That's not my problem, you have to give me an amount" Customer: "You can't just turn it on for me?" Dan: "No. That's why it's called pre-pay, you pay first." Customer: You're just a stupid blankety-blank and that's why you work at Convenient (sorry, my place of employment doesn't deserve the plug) Dan: "You think that just because I work at Convenient, that makes me stupid? Why do you automatically assume that people that work in convenience stores are stupid?" (Dan was quite loud at this point and the customer finally left out of frustration) Of course the rest of the people in the store were just appalled at this behavior, but really you have to grow a very tough skin and not take this kind of job personally. There are many, many people that are perfectly happy to treat you like crap.
Now you would think that people would learn not to mess with Dan, umm no.=0) A customer brings a large cup of frozen yogurt to the counter, overflowing with a cone stuck to the top of it. Dan rings up a large cup of yogurt and a cone. Customer: "Why is it so much?" Dan: "I charged you for a large yogurt and a cone." Customer: "Why are you charging me for the cone? It's just on top of the yogurt." Dan: "I'm charging you for the cone and the yogurt because you are taking both." Customer: "Well, I'm not paying for it if you are going to charge me for the cone" Dan: "Okay." At this point Dan picks up the yogurt cup, cone, and all and plops the whole thing in the trash next to him. The customer stares at Dan in disbelief before turning and walking out of the store. Oh yeah, makes you wonder what goes through people's heads...yep, let's just let you take things without paying for them...whatever! I'll have to tell more stories about Dan, he sure didn't take any crap from anyone!=0)

No comments:

Post a Comment