Something that most of us take for granted is the ability to read and follow directions. You know that thing you supposedly learned how to do in Elementary school? When your teacher told you when you were little that that the ability to read would make all things possible, she wasn't kidding! I truly believe that if the general public devoted a little more attention to reading things in front of their faces it would end a significant amount of negativity and frustration in their lives. Let me make my point: (The "call" signal rings on the intercom for the pumps) Clerk: "Yes, may I help you?" Customer: "How do I get this thing going?" Clerk: "Did you follow the directions on the screen?" Customer: "What screen? (obviously flustered) I just need to get some gas.." Clerk: "Yeah, that screen in front of you... the one that says press here to continue, read that screen and follow the directions it will help you get started.." Customer: "Oh, I guess if I read this that would help. Okay, thank you." Clerk: (rolling his/her eyes) "You're welcome." You see if I am unable to accomplish something or if I am unsure on how something works, I automatically read...don't you?
Anyway, here's another example: Customer:(pointing to the frozen yogurt machine) "Which one of these is strawberry?" Me: (reading the front of the machine) "Umm..it says there is either vanilla or cookies n' cream." Customer: "So, where's the strawberry?" Me: (pointing at each flavor individually) "This one is vanilla and this one is cookies n' cream, in the middle is a twist of vanilla and cookies n' cream" At this point I'm annoyed that I wasn't able to finish what I was doing and I walk off. Customer: (Coming to find me again) "But..what about the sign?" Me: "Sign? What sign?" Customer: (pointing at a picture of frozen yogurt on the door that has pink yogurt in it) "See?" Me: "That's just a picture...the machine has cookies n' cream and vanilla in it...no strawberry, maybe tomorrow...they switch the flavors everyday." The customer did finally leave in frustration, all of which could have been avoided if he had taken the time to read...just a little!
Anytime something is out of order someone will yell loudly across the store "Isn't this working?"...doesn't the sign say "out of order"? I love to laugh with a co-worker of mine "Mary", she is an older lady who has the best ornery sense of humor. "I don't know Mary", I'll say, "reading must be for wienies, no one seems to do it." "I must be a wienie then Jess," says Mary, "I read..." Me too Mary, me too...=0)
Huh, I thought I already commented... Guess not! I totally agree. There are many people out there who can't seem to follow directions and have zero trouble-shooting skills.
ReplyDelete