Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Respect your elders?

Of course we have all heard this a thousand times and should follow it as well, respect your elders. Sounds easy right? Ha!! You have not been yelled at by at least one geezer every work day for the last almost 6 years! You learn how to deal quickly and here are some tips:
1. No old person is able to pump their own gas. Not sure if once you hit a certain age you lose the ability to read and follow instructions, or what, but for some reason there is a bit of a gap there. Customer: "What's wrong with your gas pumps?" Clerk: "Nothing. Why?" Customer: "Well, it won't read my Loyalty card. Clerk: (sighing) "Did you put in right?" Customer: "Well of course I did! There is something wrong with your gas pump and I'm in a hurry!" Clerk: "All right lets go outside and see what's going on." (After walking outside) Clerk: "Okay, let's see your card. Okay, see the picture? Make sure you put the card in with the magnetic stripe facing this way." Customer: "Like this?" Clerk: "Yes, like this. You see the picture? Just like that." Customer: "Well, I did that...how come it worked for you?" Clerk: (sighing again) "I don't know, but you are all set and have a nice day" Customer: "All right thank you (grumbling). You see?
2. There really needs to be an age limit for driver's licences. For example: Clara Rose comes in every week to fill up her car and drive to Mesquite to play bingo. Clara Rose comes in, pre-pays for her gas and walks back out to her car to fill it up, only to realize that she doesn't remember how to get her gas pumping. Clara Rose hangs up the pump and walks back in the store to ask why her gas isn't pumping. The manager on duty walks out to help her, pointing out that she only needs to select the octane and pull the trigger. Clara Rose thanks us for coming and helping her and goes her merry way to Mesquite. Clara Rose doesn't remember that she came in last week and did the same thing, as well as, the week before and the week before that and the week before that. Clara Rose doesn't' remember that she doesn't remember. I wish Clara Rose would call us when she is out driving so we can stay home, then again, Clara Rose wouldn't remember to do that either!
3. When you reach a certain age you are always right, always! On occasion one of our gas pumps will have a printer that doesn't work. Not that we don't try to fix it or put in a service call for it mind you, but sometimes that is the start of something...There is a little old lady who must live near by because she comes in and fills her car up frequently. She is one of the rare one's that can do this at the pumps without help. This lady had the misfortune of picking the pump with the broken printer. I was standing up at the clerk's platform actually just asking the cashier a question and she stands in front of me and ask loudly, "Why didn't it print me a receipt?" Me: "I'm not sure, what pump were you on?" (as I bring up the screen on the register that shows the receipts, so you can print out copies if needed) Little Old Lady: "This isn't my problem, this is your problem! I need a receipt!" Me: "Okay, Ma'am, do you know what pump you were on?" Little old Lady: "This isn't my problem, this is your problem! Where is my receipt?" Me: (slightly frustrated) "Okay. I can print you a receipt if I know what pump you were on...what color is your car?" Little Old Lady: "This isn't my problem, this is your problem! I need a receipt!" Me: "Okay, Ma'am I'll print you a receipt. Is your car the blue one?" (looking out the window and guessing at this point) Little Old Lady: "Yes my car is the blue car...this isn't my problem, this is your problem!" Me: "Yes, Ma'am here's your receipt." (handing over the receipt finally) The little old lady grabs it and huffs out of the store. Yes, Ma'am...respecting my elders...=0)

2 comments:

  1. So funny and so true! I once had a little old lady wait for me to hold the door open for her when I had a toddler by the hand and baby in the stroller. I don't think she had anything in her hands... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you write very good :D
    im brazilian and can understand all :D
    cause some people write all wrong, so, is hard to me understand :S
    thanks lol
    and respect your elders :O :P

    ReplyDelete